Sunday, November 21, 2010

Landing Airplanes...

The best synonym for the way my brain works is probably the title of this post.  I have had various nicknames throughout my life, and one of the most recent is "420".  This is not because I am a huge stoner, on the contrary I only partake every few months, and even then I've gone years without smoking anything.  Not that I've ever smoked anything else, I abhor cigarettes and crack is wack.  Now that I'm a nurse I've gotta keep it legal anyways, so no more green, only that legal knockoff stuff. 

Anyways, the reason my co-workers gave me the nickname 420 is because I sound like I'm high 24 hours a day.  I speak slowly, probably because I was raised by a southerner, and also because thoughts move at lightening speed in my brain and it's way easier to speak slow and make sure all that drivel doesn't escape.  The only problem with this is that people think I am on drugs, because I have a tendency to skip intermediate dialogue and go right to the next sentence.  I also say "what????", "dude...", and "awesome!" on a regular basis. 

For example a conversation will go like this: Random person-"Hey, did you hear about that movie avatar? I really want to go see it." Me, "Yeah I heard it's good.  I want to go swimming!"  Random person-"What? swimming? it's 10pm and we were talking about avatar."  In my head this conversation makes complete sense, because it goes from avatar to me thinking about the color blue, to thinking about water and how nice it would be to go swimming.  To other people nothing makes any sense, and I usually have to backtrack and explain how I got from here to there, and it wastes a lot of time.  Time that could be used to put on a bathing suit and go swimming!

Most of my friends can tell when I need to take my adderall.  The problem is that I generally only take it if I'm going to work, and even then I sometimes forget to take it.  Also, I haven't been working much lately as I've been on medical leave for over a month.  I'll explain in another post.  I should probably take it on a more regular basis, but, wait...is that a unicorn?  Oh ok, no it was just a dog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment